Every five years, municipalities are required by Section 26 of Ontario's Planning Act to conduct an Official Plan Review to ensure that it:
- Conforms with provincial plans or does not conflict with them
- Has regard to the matters of provincial interest
- Is consistent with the provincial policy statement
- Conforms with the County of Middlesex Official Plan
The municipality is in the process of reviewing the Southwest Middlesex Official Plan to ensure that it conforms to the latest provincial policies and County Official Plan, and will generally be updated to reflect the current social, cultural, economic, and natural environment of Southwest Middlesex. The review will also consider all relevant planning related studies and reports completed by the Municipality of Southwest Middlesex and County of Middlesex since the current Official Plan was adopted in 2008.
What is an Official Plan?
The Southwest Middlesex Official Plan is a municipal policy document created under the Planning Act that sets out a land use policy vision based on long-term goals and objectives. It contains policies to guide and manage land use, development and growth within Southwest Middlesex. It applies to all lands within the jurisdiction of the Municipality and is an important tool to ensure growth is appropriately managed by protecting and managing resources including agricultural land and natural areas as well as guiding development and redevelopment opportunities in conjunction with municipal infrastructure. It also forms the basis for zoning and other land use controls.
The Municipality's current Official Plan is available to download and review - Official Plan
Official Plan Review Process?
Phase 1: Project Launch
Phase 2: Special Meeting of Council
Phase 3: Council Workshop
Phase 4: Statutory Public Meeting
Phase 5: Adoption of Official Plan Amendment by Southwest Middlesex Council
Phase 6: Approval by Middlesex County Council
Meetings and Reports
Statutory Public Meeting - August 24, 2022
Project Launch Meeting - April 27, 2022
Special Meeting of Council - June 22, 2022
- Notice of Special Meeting
- Discussion Paper & Appendix - June 22, 2022
- Special Council Meeting Presentation - June 22, 2022
Council Workshop - July 27, 2022
Take Part in the Process
There are several opportunities for members of the public to share their thoughts and views on the current Official Plan and proposed policy changes through this Review. Below you'll find information on how you can get involved now, and what opportunities you will have to get involved in the coming months.
How do I attend future meetings?
Visit our YouTube channel during the special meeting to view a live-stream of the proceedings. The video will also be available on this channel at the conclusion of the meeting. Previous recordings of meetings are also available on this channel.
How do I participate in future meetings?
You can email your comments to the Municipality's Deputy Clerk ahead of a scheduled meeting.
You can also join a Zoom meeting via phone or video by email or calling the Deputy Clerk at 519-287-2015 x8120.
When a meeting is posted, you are kindly asked to register as soon as possible to provide an orderly registration process and meeting.
Background Materials & Documents
- Southwest Middlesex Official Plan (current version, before the update)
- County Official Plan (County of Middlesex)
- Middlesex Natural Heritage Systems Study (County of Middlesex)
- Middlesex County Cycling Strategy (County of Middlesex)
- Provincial Policy Statement (Government of Ontario)
- Planning Act (Government of Ontario)
- Citizen's Guide to Land Use Planning - Official Plans (Government of Ontario)
- Guidelines on Permitted Uses in Ontario's Prime Agricultural Areas (Government of Ontario)
- Minimum Distance Separation (MDS) Formulae and Guidelines (Government of Ontario)
- Southwest Middlesex Design Standards
- Southwest Middlesex Water & Waste Water Servicing/Modelling Study
- Southwest Middlesex Parks and Recreation Master Plan
- Southwest Middlesex Strategic Plan
- Southwest Middlesex Community Improvement Plan
For More Information
This webpage is intended to supplement the statutory notice and information requirements under the Planning Act. Should you have any questions regarding the Official Plan Review process or wish to offer comments, please contact:
Stephanie Poirier, B.A., MCC
Planner, County of Middlesex
Kendra Kettler, Deputy Clerk